Data Analyst – Mobile Money Department: Mobile for DevelopmentDepartment detail: Mobile MoneyLocation: LondonContract type: 1 year FTC with great possibility of extension
Reporting to: Senior Mobile Money Data Manager About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting nearly 800 operators with more than 300 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem. Our mission is to further the strategic, commercial, technological, developing world and advocacy interests of our members. The GSMA produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress
, Mobile World Congress Shanghai
, Mobile World Congress Americas
and the Mobile 360 Series
Every day we work to harness the power of mobile to achieve our industry purpose – Connecting Everyone and Everything to a Better Future – through four main activities:
About the Team
- We provide strategic direction and thought leadership to our members
- We drive collaborative industry programmes aimed at maintaining operator relevance in the digital world
- We advocate for the industry to regulators, policy makers and society as a whole
- We convene the broad mobile communications ecosystem at our industry leading events
The GSMA Mobile Money Programme works with mobile money providers and the wider financial industry to accelerate the availability of mobile financial services that provide safety, security and convenience to the unbanked. Through its work, GSMA mobile money has supported the development of an industry that now reaches over 100 million active users globally; providing much-needed financial services to those who were previously excluded from or underserved by the formal financial sector. What the hiring manager says
This exciting role will involve developing a deep understanding of the mobile money ecosystem and providing unique analysis and insight to support and inform the continued growth of this industry which is reshaping the financial services landscape amongst the underserved.Senior Data Manager About the Role
The Data Analyst will work as an integral part of the Mobile Money Data team to collect data and produce quality analysis of key industry trends. With exposure to a broad range of activities and stakeholders; you will also be expected to contribute ideas for how GSMA can remain the main source of insight for the mobile money industry.
You will be responsible for the update and management of mobile money databases such as the mobile money deployment tracker, the global mobile money dataset, and the data warehouse to ensure all mobile money deployments are accurately represented and that mobile money estimates and forecasts are as accurate as possible.
You will work as part of the project team in charge of creating actionable insights and delivering the Mobile Money State of the Industry Report, GSMA’s top-downloaded report.
You will take ownership of data quality process such as cleaning survey responses and liaising with partners, industry, and regional experts as and when required. You will support and update the mobile money estimate and forecast models and you will produce customised industry benchmark reports for mobile money providers and operator groups.
You will develop deep familiarity with the mobile money programmes data assets and drive analysis and desk research on key mobile money topics. You will maintain responsibility for “market watch” activity to support the wider team as needed, which will include monitoring alternative sources of mobile money performance metrics, as well as sharing newsworthy events and publications with the team.
You will provide quantitative and qualitative analytical support to the programme as required, particularly where relating to building the evidence base on our advocacy work (e.g. cost study on international money transfers). This may also involve fielding requests from key external programme stakeholders and the broader GSMA. About You
What We Offer
- You will be a graduate with a good degree in either science, engineering or mathematics and possess strong analytical and numeracy skills
- You will have strong written communication skills with demonstrable experience writing concise reports and be able to quickly grasp new concepts and ideas
- You will be extremely proficient at Microsoft Excel (e.g. macros, pivot tables, data charting and presentation), have direct experience in working with large volumes of data. You must have a sound understanding of data structures with the ability to frame, move, restructure and cleanse the data, with the ability to combine data sets and demonstrating familiarity with statistical and data manipulation software (e.g. R, SPSS, eViews etc.)
- You will demonstrate a willingness to work in results oriented team environment where priorities can change, be very conscientious and highly organised and show excellent attention to detail with the ability to manage your own time effectively. You will demonstrate a “can do” attitude, be eager to identify and suggest ways of improving existing processes and have the ability to work in a matrixed structure, to support cross functional collaboration across the GSMA
- You will have experience working for a financial services / payments provider, a company in the mobile communications sector, or an international development organisation. You will be interested in the application of mobile technology for social impact and demonstrate a will to learn about the industry
- In addition, it is desirable that you will have experience in data modelling and forecasting, experience of data warehousing and data management tools and environments. French and/or Spanish language skills would also be of benefit.
Working at the GSMA offers you unparalleled access to the mobile industry. We offer a chance to truly shape the direction of mobile, whatever your role. By joining the GSMA, you will be exposed to a fast-paced rapidly evolving environment, working on global solutions, genuinely fascinating and industry-changing projects and a stimulating and dynamic environment designed to enable you to flourish.
In addition to architect-designed offices and competitive compensation, our benefits include fantastic learning & development opportunities, generous holiday allowances, four additional days off for professional development and many others.
We offer a working environment that reflects our organisational values. We also hire in line with our values and recruit candidates who demonstrate a strong affinity with these 7 principles:
- DREAM BIG - Demonstrate vision and insight to lead the industry forward
- BE BOLD - Have the courage to take risks and make tough decisions
- OWN IT - Take full accountability for your decisions and actions
- WORK AS A TEAM - Collaborate to deliver impactful results
- DO THE RIGHT THING - Conduct yourself with honesty and integrity at all times
- SHOW RESPECT - Treat others as you would expect to be treated
- LOVE WHAT YOU DO - Bring passion and pride to your work
To learn more about the GSMA, visit our careers site
, our LinkedIn
page and our Twitter